Some Basic Digital Vocabulary
- Bit - a single binary digit, a "0" or a "1"
- Word - a series of bits grouped together to represent a number. In current 32-bit and 64-bit computer architectures, the corresponding CPUs can handle 32 and 64 bit words respectively.
- Byte - refers to eight-bits. A byte can be used to express any number between 0 and 255, the range of an 8-bit binary number.
- Bus - a collection of conductors for transferring information within the
- Baud - bits/second in communication. kB and MB are abbreviations used for
kilobaud and megabaud.