Historically, Christianity has been an impediment to the advancement of science.
10 Myths Related to Science and Christianity
Comments by Bruce Phillips
There are certain things you need to believe in order to want to or be able to do science.
- These things came together ONLY in the Christian West because they are fundamental to the Christian worldview.
- Early scientists at the start of the modern era were almost exclusively and often vocally Christian.
- But Enlightenment skepticism and the anti-religious sentiment of the 19th century worked together to portray Christianity as opposed to science. That's our "myth of the day."
- Thoughtful observers now realize that Christianity, rather than an impediment, was an enabler of science.
- However modern textbooks are only slowly catching onto this new, and more correct understanding.